Thursday, May 3, 2012

Greetings! to my new Science Fiction and Horror Stories Blog

Ever since I was a child and my father introduced me to science fiction and horror stories, I was hooked.  I remember sitting in the back seat of the car at a drive-in (yes, I'm old enough to have gone to drive-in's!) and watching "The Giant Claw", a 1957 sci-fi horror film about a giant bird that terrorizes the world.  I was deliciously frightened and couldn't sleep for a week, but oh how I loved it!  There is nothing quite like the thrill of a science fiction horror movie. 

Another old sci fic movie I remember fondly (which could also be considered a horror story) is "The Day of the Triffids" a movie based on the book by John Wyndham.  In this horror story, it's walking killer plants that are the deadly force that must be reckoned with in order for the earth to be saved.

Science fiction and horror stories have developed as a literary art form and have been embraced by the world over a long period of time.  There are a great many story lines and ideas, some good, some bad, that can be discussed and reviewed.  That is what I intend to do in this blog.  Many of the old stories have been made into movies, which I will also touch on.  In fact, the science fiction and horror stories that some movies are based on are classics in their own right.

I would also like to discuss some of the authors of those terrorizing books and movies, like Stephen King or even Edgar Rice Burroughs.  The recent "John Carter" movie was based on a series of novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs (the Barsoom series).  More recently "The Hunger Games" (also a science fiction story) has gained worldwide acclaim (written by Suzanne Collins).

Perhaps you have your own favorite science fiction or horror stories that you would like to read about.  Hopefully I can cover at least some of them for you in this new blog of mine.

Also, with my love of science fiction and horror stories, I have felt the urge to blunder into writing stories of my own.  Perhaps you will be interested in reading some of my own efforts into this genre.  Look forward to seeing some of my work offered on this blog in the future.

I look forward to your future visits, and I look forward to posting blogs about a subject that so interests me. 

As Alfred Hitchcock once said:

"Fear isn`t so difficult to understand. After all, weren`t we all frightened as children? Nothing has changed since Little Red Riding Hood faced the big bad wolf. What frightens us today is exactly the same sort of thing that frightened us yesterday. It`s just a different wolf. This fright complex is rooted in every individual."

No comments:

Post a Comment